Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Oh Hell, let's make it official


Indiana Amalgamated Transit Union member discuss the Obama campaign.

I know it doesn't make any difference, but I'm gonna put it in writing. I intend to vote for Barack Obama. I have refused to vote many times in the past. I entertain no illusions. Obama and McCain represent two slightly different wings of the ruling class. Any crumbs they may toss us are designed to shut us up. I also know that politics is basically all about killing people and stealing their shit.

Having said that, I've gotta say that John McCain is a real life monster. Scary, with dripping fangs. Obama is just a creepy political animal. If I still knew any ultra-leftists, I would encourage them to jeer at me. Yes, I'm voting for the lesser of two evils because the lesser evil is much less evil.

Second. I'm voting for Obama specifically because he's Black. His upbringing is about as Black as mine, but when he tries to hail a cab, or when a cop sees him driving, he's Black. Truthfully, I would vote for Colin Powell, just because he's Black. I'm old enough to remember the remnants of legal segregation. I grew up being told that a person of color could never ever hope to be president. I've watched the living standard of Black people being driven lower and lower for my entire adult life. The sectors of the economy that employed the Black middle class have been under attack for the last 35 years. Since the Reagan administration, I've watched outright white supremacist politics come out in the open in ways I never would have dreamed possible. Enough of this horseshit. We need a person of color in the White House. Not in the cabinet, but calling the fuckin' shots. I only wish Cynthia McKinney was his Vice Presidential candidate.

Third, I'm voting for Obama because he's worked with Reverend Wright and Bill Ayers. Call it innocence by association. At least he's met and collaborated with some decent people. Maybe something rubbed off.

Finally, I'm voting for Obama because I'm a public sector union member. Yep, I'm a member of a special interest group. At least Obama's willing to talk to my special interest group. I should hope so, we've given him enough money and people. He owes us a few sit downs once he's in the White House.

Well, there you have it. I promise I will continue to vent my spleen. I am not going to be nice to the guy. He doesn't need me to be nice to him. He can take care of himself. The whole business of money and power continues to disgust me. Unfortunately, I'm in it deep enough to have a little blood on my pants cuffs, and I probably shouldn't lie about that.

Here's some music from back when times were worse, but the struggle was better.
Aint Gonna Let Nobody Turn Me Around - SNCC Freedom Singers - Various Artists - Smithsonian Folkways

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed