Thursday, March 5, 2009

More about roots music


Harry Smith in his dotage.

As far as I'm concerned, The Anthology of American Folk Music, as compiled by Harry Smith, is one of the most important records ever unleashed on an unsuspecting public.

Now someone has taken it upon himself to create a blog that examines each song and artist from The Anthology. It really is worthy of this kind of detailed study and it is truly cool that he has made hundreds of obscure songs available as downloads.
Check out The Old, Weird America Blog.

Honest, soon I'll post something about ukuleles, or why I dig Japanese Groupsound, or why KODE 9's sonic explorations are groovy or maybe even something having nothing to do with music, but right now it's all about rootsicality.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you ! The Anthology is really important for American music. And thanks for the link !

And by the way, an article about ukuleles would please me a lot. I'm not limited to yodel in my tastes... I love a lot of other (exotic) things.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed