Friday, April 3, 2009

Hand made


This is a lovely little video tour of the Aquila string factory. Aquila gut strings are made by hand using a few simple machines. I like that.

I tend to dislike and distrust the modern world. Yes, I am using a computer to write this. I suppose you could argue that I contradict myself. That's what you call a paradox. Three of my ukuleles were built by individuals using hand tools. One of the reasons I like tattooing is that it is a craft that is passed down from master to apprentice. I do not look forward to the day when you can get a technically perfect tattoo from a computer guided machine. I would rather have a sloppy tattoo with a misspelled word. Mind you, I don't want (another) sloppy tattoo. I own a lot of typically American, Chinese made, "perfect" plastic crap. Hell, my "house" was built in a factory. It is nice to see something that is purely human, touched all over by human hands.

I have no idea what a perfect world would look like. This world kind of sucks.

Rainbow Stew - Merle Haggard

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed